3 years ago today our first son was born into our family. I will tell the story because I started this bloggity about 9 months after he was birthed! As this is part of my journal, I find it appropriate to record this baby mama drama here. Plus its a good one.
It was a dark stormy night, the power was out and I was enjoying my 3rd carton of birthday cake ice cream, when all of a sudden... Just kidding! The real story is... my parents were in town (Ocala) helping us anticipate the arrival of the new baby who would not come out! I was about a week late and extremely miserable considering the amount of dehydration induced contractions. I had already been turned away from the hospital once. I did the castor oil thing and nothing happened and I was whinny and grumpy! It was the night of the final NCAA Basketball Championships... all I know about that was that the Gators were playing and my Dad and Jared were intensely involved in the game as well as every other Floridian, minus myself who was thinking that this time, my contractions were real. During a commercial I announced that I thought it was time to go to the hospital. My parents took my announcement serious while Jared questioned my ability to know wether or not I was in labor. He replied, "are you sure"? Feeling a little discouraged, and thinking I don't know, and Heck yes this hurts! ... I said yes. He replied again at a much slower pace "Are? YOu? SURE?" Being totally annoyed because I believe that the only reason he didn't take me serious was because the Game was on, I asked him and my father to give me a priesthood blessing before I went to the hospital. They gave me a blessing and out the door I went accompanied by my mother while Jared stayed home and watched the game. I told him I would call him if it was "serious labor". I got to the hospital around 9pm (?-could be totally making that up! don't remember) 2 hours later they (the grumpy nurse society) were ready to send me home. I cried, begged and told the nurse about the same thing happening with my first (nurse thinking false labor, me saying real labor than having baby with no epidural). The nurse told me to go walk the halls for an hour and then come back. I walked the halls of the hospital with my mother while I cried from the pain of the contractions, and the rejection of my husband and nursing staff (I was hormonal therefore a bit dramatic). After an hour of roaming the halls, I returned to the maternal floor to find that I had FINALLY dilated enough to be officially admitted with the condition of "Serious Labor". I called Jared to tell him the news and he said "Great! The Gators Won I'll be right there". My Dad stayed behind at the house while Cori slept. We then called Jared's Mom who ran right up because, I Cindi McGrath, have quick deliveries. They gave me an epidural and I was ready to go. They checked me and I was surprised to find that I was still the same. An hour later... the same. An hour later... still the same. And then again... the same! They decided to give me some pitocin to move things right along. But, for the rest of the night, slow progress. Finally around 7 am Grammie decided she would go to school get her class started and then run back up to the hospital. Jared decided to run home real quick to make sure Dad and Cori were doing ok, get some breakfast and come back to the hospital. My mom stayed with me at the hospital and we were chatting for about an hour or so when all of a sudden my Dad came in. I was a little surprised to see him but glad to see him at the same time. Jared thought it would be nice for him to come up and say hi real quick while he stayed home with Cori (we only lived like 3 min from the hosp) Dad sat down and we jumped right into conversation. About 15 minutes rolled by when all of a sudden Dad, Mom and I heard a LOUD pop! And than I felt a STRONG NEED 2 PUSH!!!!! I said,"I think my water just broke, go get the nurse". My mom hopped up and yelled down the hallway to the nurse who was already on her way. I then said, "DAD, go get Jared, the baby is coming NOW!" Dad raced home to get Jared. I pushed a couple of times, Dr. Delcharco walked in and 5 minutes later Jake Alonzo arrived weighing 8 lbs on the nose. Dr. Delcharco handed my Mom the scissors and she got to cut the umbilical cord. And than entered Jared and his Mom who both heard the baby music at the hospital while exiting the elevator knowing that they had both just missed it. Jared was worried that I was upset that he had left but I was worried that He was upset that he missed it. My mom however was very happy to be there because she had never experienced any other births other than her own plus she got to cut the umbilical cord. I was just happy to FINALLY be holding such a handsome, healthy and perfect little boy!
We kept this year pretty low key. Jake didn't seem to mind plus he got plenty.
He got his traditional Birthday Donut.
Opened all of his birthday presents.
He picked out his own Birthday outfit. I huge hit while in public!
Had a fun trip to Bass Pro Shops.
and Had some Birthday cake.
Happy Birthday Big BOY! Jakey Boy, Mommy loves you! I am so happy to be your mommy! You are such a sweet and fun little boy and I am so lucky to have you! I can't believe you are already 3!!! I hope you had a great Birthday bud!
I love you so, big, heavy!
Love, Mommy
6 comments:
Happy Birthday Jake! Love the birthday outfit. :)
I love that you documented your labor experience SO WELL!! I can now say that I understand exactly how you felt!!!!
Happy Birthday Jake-e. Your present is on the way.
That story always seemed to be missing some pieces - thanks for filling it all in. I hope Adia's husband misses it so I can be her partner one time (j/k kind of).
Happy Brithday Jake!
Love the outfit. So I finally got caught up on your posts and boy do you have a life! When you read them all at once, it's pretty funny to see how crazy your household is. I can't stop laughing! How fun!
Wow, none of my labor stories were that exciting!!! Imagine how fun your fifth baby story would be....haha
Post a Comment