Monday, February 1, 2010

Haiti

**WARNING**- There are a few pictures that I would consider PG-13.
Not for the faint of heart! I debated whether or not to post them but this is the reality of what Jared experienced... well actually, of what Jared wanted ME to see... I'm sure the reality was a LOT worse!!!

From Jared:

I want to personally thank you all for the prayers directed toward my family while I was away. I know for a fact that I felt the guiding hand and the gentle whispers of the Holy Ghost during this trip. I also knew for some reason that Cindi and the kids were taken care of and I felt a comfort that I have never felt before. So, thank you to all of you, and thank you Cindi for "allowing" me to go.

In short, I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life, and I hope never to see the things I saw and do the things I did ever again. I came back a broken person. As I got on the plane to leave, I actually wept. I felt sad, a true sadness which is an emotion I have never tapped before. I felt sad because I was getting on an airliner, headed back to a comfortable lifestyle with everything at the tip of my fingers while the people of Haiti were barely hanging on. I wept for the people that we did surgery on while they were half awake, gassed just enough to dull their senses to get them thru a horrible operation. They would often scream in pain and I couldn't offer any words of comfort because of the language barriers. Rather, I just turned my head away, closed my eyes and pretended for a moment I didn't see or hear anything. A few times, I just took off my gloves, and placed my hand on their forehead to at least try to give some sort of comfort. I wept for the mothers and fathers who's little ones were crushed and never to been seen, held, or hugged again. I wept for the little girl who I fell in love with and who captured my whole heart with her vivacious laugh and loving personality. I dream of the day that I can give her the last name McGrath. I wept for the people who have nothing, and when I say nothing, I mean absolutely nothing.

This experience has changed my life forever. Only the Lord knows where the next natural disaster will strike. It may effect you, or it may not...but my advice to all, love the ones you love, cherish your moments on this earth, repent for your short comings, for we never know when something like this will happen again. Thank you for your love and prayers. I especially needed them. Cindi and I made our family motto this year "service" and I loved every minute of my time serving the people of Haiti. I would go back tomorrow.

God speed to the people of Haiti.

Love,

Jared

John donated over 1,000,000 for this effort


Instruction from chief of newly formed surgical hosp.
Sitting on the back of a military truck, headed to camp.
Pediatric tent with injuries, saw much worse than this.
Handed out coloring books, it is the simple things!


I drew this lil fella a balloon from a glove
She had a bad head injury, flown to Miami the 30 min later. She lived, barely.
Inside the surgical tent
supply tent
baby lost its leg, below knee amputation.
simple fracture, this person will recover 100%
Enough said. Not even asleep.

This persons foot died, example of a crush injury. Amputated this foot.

Surgeon I worked with from Czech republic

Broken Leg

Surgical team: danielle, Paul, Jared, Filipe, Vance
All these people needed operations

Shower
Crapper
enough said. yes, that is crap everywhere, people had bad crap aim.
British camp next to us
day two surgical team
tent city



white houese
downtown hospital, people trying to get in
Army military ambulances



taking diapers to labor and delivery
check in line at the hospital, you thought our ER wait times are long?





Proud to be LDS! Tons of aid and emergency relief there from our church
Go Stryker! We used our equipment
Orphanage


Handing out vitamins and tooth brushes



Dr. LaPrade talking with Juby, a cute little boy.
Girls loved the camera! "Foto, Foto"






Army delivering US aid


we camped right next to the air strip, these big boys are noisy!






5 Americans died in this building, was 6 stories before.
people were afraid to go inside, so they brought it all out to the street.



Oh yeah, I can do that..... NOT!
Boy taking a bath in the street, no where else to bathe.





LUNCH! I got Diarrhea.



He took my glasses and said "Snoop Dog Foto." None of them speak english

I love you daralee!
My precious!

32 comments:

Gina Deceuster said...

I wish I had a comment, but I am left speechless. Thank you for helping them and for bringing the reality to us so that we may appreciate all we have.

Rochelle said...

Ditto to what Gina said.

jamie said...

Wow. That breaks my heart. I mean I really don't know what else to say. I can't even imagine seeing it all first hand. And knowing you can come back to your nice comfortable home and those people have no where else to go. Beyond sad!!!

P.s.
What the John travolta?

Vause Family said...

Like everyone else said Im speechless. I felt the spirit so strong as I read about your trip. How blessed we are, never take that for granted! It was so sweet to her them sing their ABC's and see them smile. What a great thing you did Jared!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

I can sense you love for the children...photos are simply overwhelming & I know you were selective with what you've shared. Thank you & Love you...

The Horners said...

This brought tears to my eyes. What a powerful experience and a great opportunity to serve others in need. Thank you for sharing your experience Jared. We love you!

Adam and Laurin said...

Okay so I seriously have tears running down my cheeks. So sad!

About Us said...

Jared, what an amazing experience! Thank you for sharing this.

(Are you guys adopting?). Those children are so sweet. : )

Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience! I am glad he is back safe and sound. The pictures are incredible, I love the kids. foto! Welcome home!

Portillo Portal said...

What an incredible experience! Wow, Jared, you are amazing to have gone there and done all that you did. Must have very emotional! These pictures made it much more real. Thank you for sharing your experience.

C and Co. said...

WOW!!

The Henry's said...

Totally speechless. That is absolutly heartbreaking. To say we are blessed is an understatement.

Chad and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for reminding me how blessed I am and how much I need to help those less fortunate than I am. The pictures made it more real than any newscast and to see someone I know right there seemed to help the reality for me as well. I'm sure its only too real in your home now but what a great experience. Thanks, Jared, for helping to the extent that I can't but it reminds me of the importance of helping with hygiene kits, fast offering and other services to help where I can. Welcome home!

Abbie said...

I rarely comment on your blog but just had to comment on this post and yet I'm speechless and in tears. We truly are blessed to live where we do with the circumstances we live in. How sad that the story of Haiti is slowly fading from the news when there still remains so much that needs to be done.

Your team consists of saints and angels who will surely be blessed for what you all gave. Even though I only know your family through a blog and because of Jill I must say thank you Jared (and your team) for doing what you did.

Jessica said...

Wow. I really don't have the words. Part of me wishes I could go there and be helpful in some way. The bigger part of me is grateful to not have to witness it first-hand, and especially grateful for people like Jared who will do it for me. What a blessing you were to those people. And you too, Cindi, for holding down the fort so he could go. Thank you for sharing your experience and reminding us how blessed we are!

love, lowry said...

I have been waiting to hear all about it....was not expecting that though, crazy. What an experience. I admire you're guys' love and service, I'm sure it was difficult. Thank you for your example, we love you guys and can't wait to see you!

Kaymee said...

Thank you for sharing. Totally speechless

Amber said...

Thanks Cindi and Jared for sharing those expirences with us. We are so blessed to live in the US and have so many ammenities always available. Glad Jared, you are home safe with your family. Thank you again for sharing the reality of Haiti with us.

Unknown said...

Well, talk about an eye opener! I, too, am speechless and grateful for what I have. Thanks again, Jared for all of you who went over with Mr. John to serve the people of Haiti.

Chante said...

Wow, amazing experience. That would definitely change your life forever. I bet it was so hard leaving knowing still that so many need help.....glad you did what you did!!!

McBride Family said...

Wow! How incredible for Jared to be able to go and help. I bet that is an experience he will remember for the rest of his life. Wow

Elisa said...

Great. I have clients coming in my door in 30 seconds and I'm totally crying! Thanks Jared, for taking the pictures and sharing this experience. I spent a summer in Honduras after Hurricane Mitch. I was 16. It completely changed my life. And I would do it again in a heartbeat. What a heartwrenching experience! Thanks for all the good you did while we are all wishing we could help more.

Lori said...

I am speechless for once! What a great service you provided!

Tiffany said...

Like so many others, I'm speechless...yet I have to say I am so thankful to live where I do.

Jessica said...

No words are adequate. Humility. Aren't we grateful for the gospel as we feel so saddened and powerless for such suffering. I take comfort in the gospel, and knowing that they too have a heavenly father that loves them and have hope that their ". . adversity and afflictions shall be but a small moment" and God is with them and all will be made right in the eternities. I don't know else to cope. Thank you to your family for being courageous to go and do, and to share with us.

Larsen's! said...

Amazing...wow! Kind of your "missionary" moment, huh??!! So glad you were able to go...we'd take one of those lil' haitans at our home to love, care for and raise! Glad you are home with Cindi and the kids safe and sound!Love and miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

amazing post!

Katie Evans said...

Talk about service. Wow. I don't even know what to say except thank you for sharing your experience. What a life altering trip for you and your family. Your words have made me truly grateful for the health and safety of my own family. We have so much to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I am so inspired by Jared and your family! I think Jared going over to Haiti is so courageous. Please send Jared my thanks for doing what many would not!

Meg

Amy said...

Wow....what a great blessing your family has been to the people of Haiti. A family in my ward just adopted three kids from Haiti and they have such an amazing spirit about them. Thanks for sharing. :)

lisa said...

brought to tears, Cindi, but so happy to see such big hearts you and your husband have. my love to you and all those who helped in your husband's journey. God bless those in Haiti, and hope that they find comfort.
LOVE YOU!
Lisa

Gpa Paul said...

The pictures are enough said. Life is so precious. Thank you.