Thursday, January 28, 2010

I don't know

Monday morning, after a rushed goodbye, I dropped Jared off at the Airport. He was headed to Haiti to help with the relief efforts after such a horrible earthquake. And the kids and I made our way to school while Jake in the back seat told me 5 times, "Mom, you're SO mean!" because I wouldn't let Jake go with Jared!
Jared got a call last Friday from Mr. John asking him to get a group of Doctor's together who would be willing to go to Haiti on Mr. John's plane. Mr. John got permission from Quantis Air to take his 707 filled with relief supplies, Scientology ministers, and medical personnel to Haiti. They are in desperate need of medical attention there. Because of Jared's line of work he has many friends who are Doctors so It was easy for him to round up some doctors for this trip. Most of the work that needs to be done are amputations and infection control. So Surgeons are needed desperately!

Jared flew Monday morning to Tampa, FL where he hopped on Mr. John's plane and took off to do some good. I got a call at 2:30am Tuesday morning from Mr. John's office to let me know that they had arrived safely. The area that he is in is Right outside of Port-au-prince and was only open for 48 hrs before they arrived. That is all I've heard. I have NO idea when he will return. All we knew was that there were none stop flights from Port-au-prince to JFK airport everyday. Once he got there, he would have to figure out how to get home. I won't know when he is coming home until he lands at JFK.

This being a recently opened area, I can only imagine how devastated it must be. My heart aches for these people, who already live in such poverty circumstances but after such a big disaster... I just don't know. I sent him with a camera which I hope he is using... but I know that they warned him of the smell because there are a lot of deceased. So I understand if he isn't in the picture taking frame of mind. He is there to help, not take pictures.

I am nervous. I am nervous for what he has seen, what he is doing, where he is sleeping, if he's sleeping, how this will affect him, his emotions, his safety... I'm just nervous.

I am also so proud of him for being so willing to help. I don't think he ever questioned if he would go it was all a matter of getting the time off from work so that he could go. I feel extremely blessed that he was given this opportunity to serve and that everything fell in the right place so that he was able to go. I am also extremely grateful for the outpouring of help my neighborhood has offered to me while he is away. It is very hard for me to "let" Jared go out of town because It is a true struggle for me to do the kids by myself (heck, it's a struggle to do it with him too!). However, the decision for him to go was easy for both of us. It was a must. This is where I feel very blessed because I have felt the love and support from my Heavenly Father over these last few days. I know he is with me, I know that Jared is where he needs to be at this time. What a comfort this knowledge is to me. And to be honest, I won't jump out and say that this week has been easy but it certainly hasn't been difficult! I haven't even needed to call on my generous neighbors!

I just wish I could talk to him. Make sure he is ok. I sure miss him.

So this week, I have been sewing. It is a mind numbing activity for me and it has helped me not worry or live in the world of "what-ifs". My only problem is that I finished this project and I still HAVEN'T received that call from Jared telling me he is at JFK.

So here is Precious window treatment.
My Grandma Lucy had a drapery shop for years and I wish I would have studied her while she worked. Grandma, don't look to closely as I've totally made this up!

I bought the pink panels from Target and added the pink minky dot to the bottom as well as the black pom pom trim.

The striped valance used to be the bed skirt that came with the crib bedding I got online from Target. (Yes I LOVE Target) So I ripped it apart to create the valance and added more black pom pom trim. I don't love it yet. It's missing something, but not sure what it is yet.

and because of my poor measuring/math skills, I ended up with way too much material so I got to add pom pom trim to her lamp

and got to make her a new minky dot bed skirt.
and I still have plenty left over to make some pillows. I will post more pictures when it is actually done... so close to having at least one room in this house done.

and since Precious can climb out of her bed in a matter of seconds, yesterday afternoon I decided it would be the safest thing to turn it into the toddler bed. I've had this crib for 5 years, and this is my 4th child to sleep in it and this is the first time I have ever turned it into the toddler bed.

10 minutes after I put her to bed last night, I regretted this decision! I think I lost count after the 56th time I put her back in bed. I'm not as tough or scary to her as I was to the others I guess, cause she just keeps coming out for more! Same thing for nap time today. This is a hard transition to stick with. I'm hoping she'll have it down before Jared gets home cause I'm sure he'll need to catch up on lots of sleep and that is difficult to do with Miss Princess Pants laying across you horizontally!

I promise to keep everyone posted on Jared's return. If you could please keep him in your prayers along with the people of Haiti, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been secretly praying that Jared knows and is inspired to bring me home a Haitian baby... but I guess it's not a secret anymore. What's one more baby... right?
Be grateful for what you have and tell someone you love them!
and please, please, please get your emergency preparedness stuff in order!

16 comments:

The Horners said...

We will pray for Jared and those who have been affected. That is awesome that he is sacrificing so much to be there!

Lucie's room is SO SO SO SO SO cute!!! I love her bedding and the curtains look great! If only I were so creative.

Adam and Laurin said...

What an awesome oppurtunity to help all of those poor people. You are such an amazing positive person! I hope that he comes home soon for your sake, but I have to say your sewing projects are turning out so cute! We will keep jared and all of his crew in our prayers.

Gina Deceuster said...

Wow. Go Jared. Go McGraths. I hope he...and you...are given extra strength to do all you can. I will pray for his safe return and for angelic children in his absence. :)

Rochelle said...

So awesome that you guys can do so much for those in Haiti.

The Holyoaks said...

nice curtains! i would love a little Haitian niece or nephew too.

DeCaires Family said...

That is awesome your husband can go and do spend the time to help. And, as a mom of 4....a huge sacrifice for you as well.

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Prayers for Jared (& you) & our Haitian neighbors...I can't even imagine the chaos & pain. Glad you are able to stay distracted with your projects - I likey the dingle balls! G'ma Lucy will be so proud!

Coordination Queen said...

Keeping y'all in my prayers.

Love Lucie's room! It is darling.

Lauren said...

That is such an amazing opportunity. What a great husband you have. You guys are both so centered and capable. We'll remember Jared in our prayers....and you too holding down the fort. And I want a Haitian baby too....already asked Andrew for one....already have his name picked out:)

Christa said...

The fabric is adorable in Lucie's room! You are so talented!! Good Luck to Jared and his team... It's amazing when people are willing to drop everything to help people out!

Our Little Bubble said...

Such a wonderful selfless act from your family... it's great to hear these types of stories, how ppl come together to help make a difference and help in these tragic times. Prayers go out to your family!

jamie said...

What a memorable experience it's going to be for your husband. I think it's awesome that he was able to go ov er there and help out. We have some friends who are there now and I have heard some amazing/heartbreaking stories about what those people are going through.
You definatly need to post about his experience when he gets back!!!

Portillo Portal said...

How amazing Cindi! This is such a wonderful and unique experience for Jared. You guys are truly great people! I will be thinking of you in my prayers too!

And adorable arts and crafts Cindi Lou Who!

CorayFam said...

What an awesome husband you have!!! That is truly humbling to read! I am glad that you have help while he is away. I appreciate you sharing this. I needed to read it today!! Your little one's room is SOOO cute..way talented!!

Comarsh Crew said...

How selfless you both are. I can't imagine how hard it is for him there & how hard it is for you at home with the kids. I only have 2 & the youngest can't even walk yet & it is hard. Your family will be in our prayers!

Gpa Paul said...

What a great appreciation for life that will result for all of us. thanks Jared, our prayers are with you.