I have had several experiences over the past couple of days that have strongly impressed me to sit down and write this out.
I'm not sure why but it has been strong enough that I will stop avoiding it.
I really enjoyed last Sundays lesson taught in RS. You can read it HERE.
Anyways the following was read aloud...
The sick may be healed through faith and the exercise of priesthood power, according to the Lord’s will.
Then Sis. Phelps asked, Why some prayers are answered and why some are not. Her question gave me a burning desire to share my feelings about "the Lord's will". So I did and it left me pondering the following experiences of my life for the remainder of the day, as well as all day yesterday, and again this morning. So here I sit at my computer but before I share my response to Sis. Phelps' question I will give a little background...
It is no secret that my dad, Jefferey Lynn Carter, died in August 1989. My father was diagnosed with Epilepsy while my mom was pregnant with me (1981-ish). The Epilepsy started small but progressively developed over the years. I was young enough not to remember too much about what was going on as well as the hardship it was for both my father and mother. I did know that he was sick but I don't think I ever realized how sick he was. I do know that when I was about 4-ish, he got better enough for them to have my little sister Terri and 21 months later my little brother Ty snuck in there. :) That's when my dad started to get really bad. He had a few major surgeries in an attempt to correct the seizures. After the last surgery he never recovered. After he died, they found that he had a rare form of cancer that lined his brain.
Now here is the story I shared in RS in response to Sis. Phelps' question...
A couple of months before my dad passed away, a General Authority, Elder Vaughn J Featherstone was in town for a conference. While he was there, it was arranged for Elder Featherstone to give my father a Priesthood blessing (healing of the sick). My family believed that this blessing would be the blessing that would heal my father. To my family's surprise, Elder Featherstone did not mention anything about my father being healed. Instead it was more like a blessing to comfort him and us, his family.
I believe strongly that the Lord has a plan for all of us. I don't believe that my dad died because we didn't have enough faith for him to be healed. I truly believe that it was Heavenly Father's will to call him home because there was work for him to do on the other side of the veil. This was part of my dad's plan. It was also part of my plan. As hard and difficult as it was for me and our family at the time, I look back on it and it was such a milestone in my life. There are so many things I have learned from this single part of my life. I have tried hard not to dwell too much on the "what ifs" of life because I believe that is a downward spiral into depression. This is my life, this is what happened and I appreciate the things that I have learned because they have made me who I am today. I still had a very happy childhood. I believe that families can be together forever. I know that I will see my dad again and he will know me and I will be able to hug him and we will be happy.
We do not always understand why some prayers are answered and why some are left unanswered. I do however trust my Heavenly Father that He knows what is best and He will do what is His will.
'Till we meet again...'

Daddy Jeff circa 1970's!
This picture was titled Jethro. I don't get it but I like it.
I think my dad was a knuckle-head/joker!
It cracks me up how much Ty looks like him. Especially in this picture.
If you have any questions about my verbage, go to THIS Website and check it out.
17 comments:
I love that picture.
What a great picture. I've always known your dad died, but I didn't know the whole story. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing Cindi. I feel like the hard things I have gone through have made me more sensitive to those who are now going through the same thing. I'm sure there are those that draw great strength from your story.
That was beautiful Cindi. Not too shocking, but is brought me to tears. Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it. Of what I remember, your dad was funny. Love you!
Hi Cindi Lou Hoo. Thanks for your little testimony. I completely agree that things happen according to the Lords will and all we can do is have faith in his decision and keep working on things. I love you and thanks for being you!
This brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful.
What a wonderful perspective to have. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Thanks for sharing. I like to hear stories like this. Maybe you thought you need to share because his birthday is this week. (Right?)
I really enjoyed your comments on sunday and reading this made me cry. I could tell that you really felt the spirit and just wanted to say thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony. I Lost my Dad 2 years ago from kidney/ liver failure. Your words gave me peace. thanks again!
What an awesome pic of your Dad! And thanks for sharing...it was just what I needed to read:)
You are such a fabulous writer. Indeed beautiful.
I enjoyed your 'reflections' Cindi, and appreciate your testimony of prayers and how they are and 'aren't' necessarily, answered.
Your words touched me more than you'll know. Thank you Cindi.
Jethro = Jethro Tull...he was a big fan.
Cindi, thank you so much for sharing that heartfelt message to all of us. You truly are a wonderful writer and you convey so much true emotion and I know that reading your blog has changed my perspective on several things. I never heard this story about your dad, and I can't even guess how hard all of this was in your life. However you are inspiring as to the Spirit you share and the things that you have learned from it all. I also can't get over how much you look like your dad. Thank you and have a good vacation!
He does look exactly like Ty. That was a very moving post. I'm glad you wrote it.
I see both Ben and Ty in your Dad. He must have been an incrediable man because he sure has incrediable children. His leaving your family brought you to our family. We love you and all your sweet Carter family.
Post a Comment