I was asked to do a H, F, & P Enrichment class on Keeping the Sabbath Day holy the day after I posted this beauty. I thought it was a joke but it wasn't. So I asked my friends and family what they did on Sundays and this is a list of the response I got back. Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I really appreciate the help!
PS- I chose to focus on things we CAN do.
Pres Ezra Taft Benson said, "The purpose of the Sabbath is for spiritual uplift, for a renewal of our covenants, for worship, for rest, for prayer. It is for the purpose of feeding the spirit, that we may keep ourselves unspotted from the world by obeying God's command."
DOs - He has outlined some specific suggestions of activities that are in keeping with these guidelines:
* activities that contribute to greater spirituality
* essential church meetings in the house of prayer
* acquisition of spiritual knowledge - reading the scriptures, church histories & biographies, & inspired words of the brethren
* resting physically, getting acquainted with family, relating scriptural stories to children, bearing testimony, building family unity
* visiting the sick & aged shut-ins
* singing the songs of Zion & listening to inspiring music
* pay devotions to the Most High - prayer, personal & family; fasting, administrations, father's blessings
The List
GO TO CHURCH
The Living Scriptures- Animated videos, coloring books, etc.
Games-promoting family bonding- Board games, LDS related games can be found at the bookstore
Quiet Time- Napping, meditating, praying
Reading- Bible, Book of Mormon, Ensign, New Era, Friend
Writing- Journaling, letters to missionaries, letters to relatives
Prepare a lesson or Talk
Service- Visit the sick, visit the Elderly, invite those with out family over for dinner
Family Dinner- Talk about what was learned at church, Have family help in preparing and cleaning meal
Cookies- Spend time baking and decorating cookies. Good time spent with children and great for dessert or delivering as a service.
Take a Walk to get out wiggles
Do Personal Progress, Duty to God
The Sabbath Box- Have a Box of things that only comes out on Sundays. You can change/edit/delete items as your children grow older. Books (tape record of Grandparents reading the books), Prophet Match game, Books on CD, Playing Primary Songs on Piano, Listening to Church music on Headphones, Reading Book of Mormon Stories, Plastic Noah’s Ark, BOM Action Figures, etc.
Family Counsel- Spiritual lesson, Go over upcoming weeks schedule, Set temporal goals as well as spiritual goals for the week, talk about problems in the house and how to fix them.
Recommended BOOKS
Big Ideas for Little Budgets by John Bytheway & Brad Wilcox
The LDS Game Book by Alma Heaton
Games With Gospel Themes by Alma Heaton
Videos
The Living Scriptures, Saturday’s Warrior, My Turn on Earth, Legacy, The Testaments, The Best Two Years, The Other Side of Heaven
Good resources as well as printable worksheets
click “gospel library", click “magazines”, click “The Friend”, click “find and print activities”
click “my file box”, click “S”, click “Sabbath Day Observance”
click “downloads”
http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2008/sharing_stations/1.html
http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/bl101sabbath.htm
http://www.meridianmagazine.com/littlethings/040318delight.html
http://www.truelightacademy.com/sabbath.html
Other DIY
My sister Rochelle sent this cool little booklet which I copied and made for my kidlets. It is about 3X3 inches, laminated, and is put together with a book ring. It is a cute book to help your kids decide what to do.
Here are the templates. Just right click save and print (they are jpeg so print full size). I couldn't get my scanner to work so hopefully just a picture will do. My apologies if it doesn't work!
Fun Things for your Sabbath box:
I Spy Bag
click here for tutorial "I Spy Bag"
I have also made one of these in an empty water bottle with rice. I superglued the lid on it. Works the same!
and if you are ambitious, check out this QUIET BOOK. Too much work for me but super cute!
or you can do this Sunday ABC Book. My mom made this book for my kids a couple of years ago and I love it. She used a combination of pass along cards and clipart as well as photos. It is in a 8x8 Scrapbook/Photo album. Here is a picture of each page...
and here is the Verbage. Just right click save and print (they are jpeg so print full size).


I firmly believe that it starts with the adults. Set an example of how you would want your children to act on the Sabbath. If you enjoy it, more than likely your children will enjoy it. If you focus on the things they CAN do instead of the things your children CAN'T do, then You as a family will learn to Delight in the Sabbath! Also, allow yourself to be inspired. Pray and discuss together as a family what is and is not appropriate. Good Luck and have many Happy Sunday's!
PS- Let me know if you have any questions on how to make the above. I don't know how people put together tutorials and craft sites on a daily basis! It's way too time consuming! I will prob. never do this again! :)
11 comments:
You're missing B and C in your alphabet! Looks like it was a great lesson. I will be coming back to this post every so often to get me some ideas because there are SO MANY!
Thanks TERD!
Great post. I love the I spy bag, we will be making one this week. Thanks!
Great ideas, Cindi. Thanks!
SUPER CUTE!!!!! I love the ABC book. I'll have to make one.
I'm thinking it would be really fun to take the idea of having the grandparents read a book on tape and then have them send it back to me so my kids can have their "pa-haw" reading to them. I wish I would have done this before my mom passed away...I miss her laugh and "cherry" voice the most.
You did a great job on the enrichment activity. I love all of your ideas! Thanks again!!
Sounds like quite the task! I bet you did great presenting it! I LOVE the ABC Book and am going to start on it today. Thanks for sharing the information!
I love that alphabet book! I am so going to have to do that!
I knew you would do a great job with this lesson. You difinately out do yourself each time!:) T
Glad the class went well - "we are only as good as the people we can 'borrow' from" - Many THANKS to my good friend Jill Angel for the Sunday ABC Book idea...she shared her genius with me.
Post a Comment