Friday, June 27, 2008

Be Prepared

Maybe it's because we are approaching Hurricane Season, our friends have had some interesting experiences or maybe just because the Prophet has advised us to, but whatever the reason is we are getting our Food Storage together. Jared and I have had a very strong impression this year that now is the time for us to really be prepared for a disaster situation. It's something that we have been kicking around (for a year now) and we have finally decided to prioritize it.



Now, when I think of Food Storage I think of this...


boring, out dated, and for Grandma's (so sorry to all my Grandma's or parents who are now Grandma's which I guess includes Dad cause apparently Macy calls him Grandma sometimes) :)

I have recently learned that I too can be boring, out dated and someday I will be a Grandma so I'm totally qualified to can some food and be prepared. Hooray! Applause!



Last night, Jared and I were fortunate enough to attend an activity about a simple yet delicious way to not only build your year supply but also make one that your family would enjoy. The idea/program "Everything Under the Sun" was created by Wendy DeWitt who has been involved in teaching food storage for many years. This system answers that question right down to the last teaspoon of salt. You choose 7 breakfasts and 7 dinners that you would want to have once a week for one year. There are 52 weeks in the year, you’re having this meal once a week, so you’ll have it 52 times. Make these meals things that you eat all the time, things that you like! You are going to multiply everything (including the amount of water) in each of your recipes by 52. An example would be if you used 1 jar of Ragu and 1 pound of spaghetti to feed your family, you’d buy 52 jars of Ragu, 52 pounds of spaghetti and include the water to cook the noodles. My spaghetti has a couple more ingredients to it but the whole program is based on a worse case scenario. You will eat it or you will starve. You then do the same with 6 other meals. At the activity, we watched a wonderful video of Wendy DeWitt giving her presentation and we were given a 24 paged book of everything she talked about. She goes into canning and pressure cooking which at first I was thinking BORING, but for me that was the most exciting thing to hear and I can't wait to get a Pressure Cooker/Canner so we can can some meat! I am getting a copy of the DVD and have the PDF file of the book on my computer so if you are interested in this program to help you get started please leave me a comment with your email address and I will email you the PDF file. If you would also like a copy of the DVD let me know and I will get you a copy.

I can't tell you how many people we have talked to who have had "a strong feeling" that they should get their food storage in order. Living in a place where we have seen "disasters" up close and know that we could very easily be in a disaster, I want to make sure my family is taken care of. So if I haven't scared you or encouraged you enough to get some kind of yearly supply organized for your family give me a holler and I'll try some more. Please don’t put your family at risk by assuming that you will be eating someone else’s food! No one else is storing food for your family. Your neighbors aren’t, the government isn’t and the church isn’t. I know it can be pricey to try and get it all in one day but try to spread out your purchases.
Bottom line is do what you can.
"We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve."—The First Presidency


Here is Wendy's little introduction to the book...
"What’s for dinner?" is an age old question. But in times of crisis, that question becomes even more important. Experience has shown that when people are in emergency situations, food and water become the focus of everyone’s attention. But it doesn’t take a natural disaster to need food storage. Personal economic disasters happen every day in this country. Food storage can be life saving in many different situations.


We all have questions and concerns about food storage. What should I buy? What will it cost? Where do I store it? How do I cook it? What about rotation? There are hundreds of answers to these questions and the following information isn’t right or wrong, it’s just the way I do it.


Most of the recipes in previous versions of this book were "made from scratch" recipes. This version includes a "user friendly" section for meals that are more easily prepared. These recipes have been given only to show you the kind of things can be stored and how to cook them in a solar oven. Your family will appreciate it if you use your own favorite recipes.
Other Food Storage Help:

14 comments:

The Holyoaks said...

Oooh! Email it to me. I was so excited the other night when Kiff randomly said, "We should start building up our food storage." I don't know if he was hungry or inspired but I was so on top of that (the task, not the husband - haha). I have no idea where to start so it would be nice to have a PDF to refer to. Dad sent us a booklet once from San Jose South Stake. Maybe I should dig that out, too.

Gina Deceuster said...

I'm feelin' it this year too. Seems like I hear about it every Relief Society, Sundays and otherwise. I went to a class last night about "cooking without power" where a lady made a solar oven from a windshield protector! Crazy stuff. I've decided I need a Dutch Oven in my food storage. All those good meals on the Colorado River have not been forgotten...mmm...

About Us said...

Always a good thing! Good for you guys! I may need that PDF too. Thanks, Cindi!

Coordination Queen said...

I'd love to get a copy of that... we've started to get stuff, but I'm kind of at a loss as to where to REALLY start. We have places set up to store it, now I need to fill up those shelves.

The Horners said...

Email it to me too! I'm so lost on the food storage thing.

Vanessa Brown said...

Me too that is why I bought 300 lbs of wheat for my mothers day present! It is all very confusing to me though :(

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Fianlly! A practical approach to food storage! When we made the move up here to the River, we gave away most of our food storage because, realistically, it wasn't practical for us to use. So we did a Costco run & stocked up on things we would REALLY use in an emergency.

kelly ferg said...

I'm in! I hate thinking of Food Storage but I know it's so important. The easier the more exciting to git' er' done.

Middleton said...

Kyle and I were talking about the whole food storage thing and decided it's a good thing your hubby has a gun because if something ever happens and you need a year's worth of food supplies then you will also need to be able to protect it.

Good luck, sounds like a big job but I'm sure if any one can get it done it would be a nursing mother of 4 small children!

Kaymee said...

We have been trying to focus on this too! I have been a little overwhelmed. This sounds easy enough. email me too!

Dan and Janay said...

Amen sister,
I've been feeling the pressure of this food storage thing since my mission, 5 year ago. But this year has been different, i've been feeling the spirit kick me in the pants about it. I would love to get any info you can get for me. DVD and or PDF file.
Thanks
Janay
kou99001@hotmail.com

Erin said...

I would love a copy of the pdf. Brett and I have been slowly starting food storage too it just seems like it's more and more important.

Erin.E.Garner@gmail.com

Thanks

Unknown said...

Oooo!!! Me, me!! LOL Can you email it my way?
Pedey (at) sbcglobal (dot) net
We've got a sad attempt at food storage started up but the thought of having wheat & wheat & more wheat as my storage is so unappealing... and unpractical. I like the idea you're talking about. So I'd love to see more about it! Thanks!
-Michelle (Ramsey)

Tracy Haws said...

I'm so impressed Cindi...I would be THRILLED for the pdf cause we are going through the exact same feelings here in our house. Do you still have my email addy?