Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Fashion Guru

The other morning Cori came to me with a picture the had drawn of a hairdo I was to create. (slap face for not saving the pic!)
My initial thought was 'I'm the hairdresser and mother so I'll decide how I do your hair' but,
then I quickly thought of when I was a kid and my Mom let me express myself via hairdo and clothing.
(thank you Madonna! Even though I doubt Madonna had anything to do with it!)
Thanks Mom for letting me dress myself and request hairdos!

With out further adew, the hairdo...



Last week, Cori's school celebrated Dr. Suess' Birthday. On Tuesday they got to wear pajamas to school for a "Book-a-thon".
Wed they had Green eggs and ham for lunch. Thurs they had birthday cake and their Library visit.
Friday they dressed up as their favorite Dr. Seuss character. Cori chose Cindy Lou Who.
Probably because that's the only character she actually knew or the only one that doesn't look CRAZY!

I was so excited to attempt this hairdo...
but when I showed it to Cori she said it was "crazy" and didn't want to go to school looking like that!

She decided to model her look off the original Dr. Seuss character...
I thought, wow she's so vintage and authentic and original and shew... this is gonna be easy!
So I set out to create (with stuff we already had) a costume that Cori would be pleased with.
This is what we came up with...
I'll admit that it wasn't so easy. Especially when I started it on Thursday afternoon.
I felt like I was on an episode of Project Runway with just my old fabric, trusty sewing machine, what's left of my brains on a Thursday afternoon, and no time to figure it all out!

I put one antenna on the headband and placed it on my head to see if it was gonna work and 3 hours later while sitting in my class, felt it on my head when I went to scratch my ear.
I bust a gut laughing because my friend in the class said that she was thinking "wow, Cindi is ahead of our fashion. I knew headbands were in but I've never seen any headbands like that in any of the magazines".
I. AM. AN. IDIOT.

Cori was happy with her costume when she woke up Friday morning.
I even got to go read in her class Friday and I may be biased but, her costume was the best by far!

We've had these blades for awhile now. Cori is really starting to get the hang of it.
Love this girl!

11 comments:

love, lowry said...

You rock and so does Cori girl! I was cracking up about your headband/class story!

The Holyoaks said...

I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe! Love that you wore the headband to class. Great costume!

Christi said...

love the costume! she is so cute

The Horners said...

Hahahahaha! Love that you wore it to class! She looks so cute in that costume!

Becki said...

Her costume is super cute! And love her hair!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

I am crrrying I'm laughin so hard! You wore the headband with ONE antenna? You are so special, Cindi Lou Who! I'm so glad you are feeling my pain...one fashion guru deserves another! <3

PS - I need to collect a few pairs of skates & roller blades to add to the Riverhouse fun.

Kasey Strong said...

I love the way her costume turned out, she really does look like the book version of Cindy Loo Hoo. Good job.

Bassetts said...

Love it! Maybe someday she'll let you do the more recent version. I would have loved to see that 'do! Still, Cori is such a cutie and you guys totally pulled off the costume. A-DOR-A-BLE!

Rebecca said...

Bwahaha! I wish I had seen you in your "fashion forward" headband!

Gpa Paul said...

anyone who celebrates the seuss is my hero. thanks cori. Nice job mom.

Rochelle said...

What an awesome outfit! What class?