Monday, March 14, 2011

Counting my Blessings...

Jared was in an accident while on his bike last Thursday.

The driver didn't see him and cut right in front of him as he was going 20 mph.
His front bike tire hit her car and he went flying over the hood.
landing and rolling about 15 ft on the street.
I got a call from a stranger telling me he had been in an accident.
Scared. Me. to Death.

By the time I got to the scene Jared was already in an Ambulance on his way to the ER.
I grabbed his brand new and broken Tri-Bike and headed to the hospital.
Once I arrived this is how I found him...

We are so lucky! Just minor injuries. He was beyond mad and his swollen jaw (from oral surgery earlier that week) was killing him with that brace on!
Just that morning, his doctor had cleared him to ride.
How was he to know that he'd get hit by a car 10 min into his ride?

He was totally fine, just bumps, scraps and bruises and whiplash.
He sat their tied down for a good 30 min before I asked someone to get him off the board.
He was mad but after I serenaded him with "Lean on Me" he finally cracked a smile...

And then someone finally came in to cut him loose from his straps and neck brace.
Then the nurse came in to discharge him.
I love it when they ask questions to the patient right in front of you as if your not there.
What's your name?
Emergency contact?
Are you married?
What's your spouses name?
and then she finally looks at me and before she can ask, I say,
"I'm not his wife."
And she got quiet and pale until I started laughing.
I know, Imma Jerk! :)

In the car on the way home...
I am so grateful that he is OK.
We are so lucky!
I'm counting my blessings...

So thankful for my neighbors and friends for being there when I needed them.
So grateful to be surrounded by people who care for our little family.
While we waited in the ER we both received calls and texts... news travels fast around here but I Love it!
It doesn't bother me one bit. People care and are willing to serve when you are in need.
I've already experienced that twice this year! I love that within an hour of his accident,
both the Bishop and Relief Society President called to make sure we are OK and asked what they could do to help.
We feel loved and supported and it feels great!

Within the last 10 days Jared has had a major sinus infection, wisdom teeth removal and hit by a car. I'd say he's had a pretty rough couple weeks!

11 comments:

Elisa said...

My husband is not allowed to read this post!! He HATES me riding on the road. Especially while pulling my kiddos!....stupid cars.

Rochelle said...

Glad he is okay without any broken bones. That would really put a dent in the training schedule right? You know they ask those questions on purpose to make you mad, right? It really has nothing to do with making sure he is coherent.

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

I yike your drawling, Simon.

Glad nothing too serious (other than the damage to the bike...& the expense of an ambulance ride & ER visit). Minor set back - he'll be back up & training again before you know it.

Bassetts said...

Scared.me.to.death.too! I'm sure bike accidents are even scarier because you aren't protected like in a car. Glad he's ok, but knowing Jared, he'll recovery quickly and be right back on his bike. He's tough.

Love that you can make light of a difficult situation. Made me laugh out loud!

The Horners said...

Hahaha, Lean On Me! I can see this frustrating anyone but the fact that he didn't have any serious injuries and was strapped down probably really bothered him. I'm glad it wasn't too serious but how scary! How about no more ER visits for the McGrath fam. Kthanksbye.

About Us said...

WOW! He is sure high maintenance! ;) That is scary though. Just chalk it up to one of those near death adventures he likes so much. Glad you all are...still living. Sounds like a rough year for someone...err...someones.

Portillo Portal said...

Scary! So glad he's okay! Dev rides too, and I always get worried!

Middleton said...

Oh my! If anyone can recover quickly and only be stronger because of all of this - it is Jared! Sorry things have been crazy. I can't wait to read how your last few months played out in you Christmas letter this year. :)

Unknown said...

Good grief!! Thank goodness all ended well. I love your comment to the nurse abut not being his wife! HA!!

Gpa Paul said...

Pain? thats not Pain....Wait til I get him on the Grand Canyon for two weeks. "We aint got no wussy ambulances"

Nicole said...

HOLY CRAP! How scary!!!
That could have been so much worse!
Never a dull moment at the McGraths!
When are we going to hike Camelback?