Monday, November 17, 2008

Felt Bows- a borrowed post from my sister

Many of you have asked me where I got these lovely felt flower clips



Well, last summer while Jill and Macy were visiting, we decided to figure it out. Jill posted a how to on her blog but since her bloggity is private, I borrowed the post for your viewing pleasure here. Good Luck and let me know how they turned out!




Felt Flower Post: by Jill Holyoak


Okay, MB. Ask and ye shall receive - a flower clip tutorial just for you (and whoever else would like to learn). These clips seem to be everywhere now. For that reason, I can't really point a finger as to who actually inspired my sister and I to sit down and figure these out one day over the summer. As I said, they are everywhere! Here's what we came up with. Feel free to add your creative twist. My good friend Marie is an excellent example of adding your own personal touch. She posted her much more exciting flower clips on her blog yesterday. For the purpose of this post, however, my basic pink clip will suffice.

Materials needed . . . felt, embroidery thread, a pop-clip with holes (you can find these at any craft store), a button, and a flower pattern:




After I shaped my pattern, I pinned it to the two pieces of felt I was using. You need two layers. I chose a plain pink and one with some texture. After you cut out the two flowers, cut out a small circle for the center. Sometimes I like to use a coordinating fabric for the circle piece instead of felt. In this example, I just used the same textured felt:



Embroidery thread usually consists of 6 strands. I feel like this is too much to thread through my needle so I split it in half like this:



You can see that once it's thread through the needle, it's doubled so it really ends up being 6 strands thick anyway. So, I stack the TOP flower ONLY with the circle and the button. I sew on the button:



Then I whip stitch the circle to the flower like this:



Now you place the top flower on to the bottom piece. I do it this way so that the bottom piece can hide the mess I just made under the flower. It just looks nicer, I think:



Whip stitch the top flower to the bottom:



Now you place the pop-clip onto the bottom of the finished flower and attach it using those handy dandy holes:



And then you put it in your baby girl's hair and snap some pics:



And then get a little carried away with the photo shoot because she's so dang cute:

She also did a "Tutu"-torial which I will try to borrow so you can pimp out your costume next year or make a tutu for a party. It is a great way to make a tutu full. So stay tuned.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

You guys should start a crafty blog that isn't private and post all your fun stuff in a one stop shop. :)

Rebecca said...

I agree with Rochelle. I'd visit that blog all the time! These are so cute!

Our friend Anna took our pictures. She does weddings and is thinking of breaking into the family pic scene. Isn't she great? And #2 isn't on the way for a long time! When is #5 on the way? Just kidding. =)