To say that I am mad would be an understatement. I have pouted all day long over the stubbornness of my child. Let me explain... So It has been a "tradition" in my family to get your ears pierced on the 5th birthday. An event Cori has been counting down since the day after her 4th Birthday almost a year ago. Even though Cori's Birthday is not for a couple of weeks I thought that because my mom was in town, it would be fun for her to enjoy this milestone with us.
Now let me back up on this story to start with my first mistake...
Mistake #1- I listened to my husband. He told me to prepare her for "the pain". So I told Cori what to expect. I talked about the pinch. Which brought on her first wave of cautions.
Mistake #2- I showed her footage via You Tube. To counter act mistake #1, I pre screened a couple of videos people had posted of their little sweethearts getting their ears pierced and the celebration afterwards. A "see this is no big deal" kind of thing. Of course, all Cori saw were the 2 gals on each side of the child with guns pointing straight at said girls ears. Major Backfire! Then went up Cori's 2nd red flag!
Mistake #3- The element of surprise. I invited Cori to go on a special date with Grandma and I this afternoon. We went to Claire's Accessories to look at earrings. My plan was to get her excited about all the choices of earrings in the store and then nonchalantly (if possible) get her ears pierced. She looked at pretty earrings with Grandma while I filled out paperwork. When the "piercer" was ready, I called Cori over to "the chair". She sat up in the chair and as soon as she realized what we were about to do, she flipped out! So I apologized to the "piercer" and told her we would be back.
So we went to the food court and had lunch. Obviously I was trying my hardest to convince, persuade, bribe... what ever it took to pierce my daughters ears!!! She went for the bait of a cookie, a brand new dress and $10 worth of new earrings. She agreed to pierce her ears as long as she could sit on my lap and hold my hands.
So here we are sitting on my lap...
cleaning the ears...
marking ear #1... (notice the nerves setting in)
remarking ear #1 to make it center... (notice nerves beginning to take over)
and finally the moment we waited for...
and NOPE!!! NOTHING! Major melt down! I wanted to hog tie her and force her to do it but apparently they don't allow such behavior in Claire's Accessories! As if!
We tried a third time to go in and watch an older girl get her ears pierced. Cori watched excitedly but in the end told me, "maybe next year when I turn 6".
I told her, "It's now or never!"
She responded with, "i don't really want earrings anymore."
AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! This was supposed to be fun and aaahhhh!!! I'm way bugged! So yes, my daughter is a Drama Queen. and I guess that makes me one too because after 4 hours of wondering around the mall trying to force my almost 5 yr old into piercing her ears, and having no success I am still sulking about it. I'm sulking because my poor daughter will never know the beauty that a pair of sparkly ear bobs can add to an outfit. She'll never know the happiness of opening up a jewelry box filled with new earrings from her mother on her birthday. And she will never be able to wear my diamond earrings on her wedding day. and never be able to know the true joy that vintage red rose earrings can bring to a woman's life! It's just so... tragic!!!
Today is a sad day!
(You bet your Butt I'm gonna try again next week!)
9 comments:
It took months for Bethia to finally allow me to have hers done. We did it this summer on trip to Nana's. Good luck!
Hahaha! I am not entirely surprised but taking notes for my turn at this.
HAHAHAHA! I think I know where she gets it from... ;)
Poor Cori! That hurts my heart.
haha Jenna turns 5 in a few weeks and asked her dad if she could get them done for her birthday like 8 months ago!! we'll see how it goes- she's a drama queen too!!! :)
I think it's funny that YOU are so set on having them pierced. I get it, it's cute. I just think it's funny, usually the kid is throwing a fit because they want it done and the mom won't let her. I'm taking notes though, I promise I'll come back to this blog post in 4 years, when Lexie turns 5!!
Hahah! Quite the experience! I am sure Cori will change her mind! She is so dang cute by the way!
You made me laugh so hard! I love your posts. AND it's almost sickening how beautiful you are...and so sweet and nice on top of it. Sheesh, share the wealth a little! :)
Experienced the same with McKayla, many hours, outfits, shoes..... you know. So with Sab I nailed her when she was just a wee child and had no clue. Maybe consider changing the age. Then it will be a glorious day for you. Thanks for the laugh and way to go Jared for the successful trip.
Post a Comment