Most of our week after Christmas was spent like this...
Mid week, we decided to take the boys to the Doctor. At the time we were mostly concerned about Jake's fever because he started to get red spots/rash over his whole body. Jason was having a hard time keeping anything down and we were having trouble keeping his temp down. The doc said that Jake had roseola and that Jason was in the early stages of dehydration. He gave us a script for antibiotics for Jake and a suppository for Jason to help calm his vomiting. we were on strict orders to keep Jason hydrated.
on Friday, I tried to perk everyone up for a festive New Years Eve dinner but it wasn't happening.
we even played with noise makers and sparklers.
but soon after we found these 2 like this...
They were both burning with fever so I pulled them apart and sent Cori to bed. After I got Cori situated in bed I went to check on Jason who I thought would be burning up. I pulled the blanket off of him and felt his forehead. He was cold. I was so confused because his temp just 45 min earlier was at 104.5 (which is where it was at most of the day). I lifted his shirt to feel his belly and it too was cold. I began to get nervous. Jared and I took his temperature and it was 97.0. That was weird. I thought it was broken so I was trying to get Jared to go to the store to buy a new thermometer. We both started to feel a little uneasy.
At about 10:30pm we decided that he needed to go to the Doctor. After about 30 min of trying to decided if we should take him in that night or in the morning, and who would take him in, Jared being the awesome guy that he is, took Jason to the ER. At about a quarter to midnight, I got a text from Jared saying that they were admitting him for a major bacterial pneumonia with viral flu. HAPPY NEW YEAR! I was scared and relieved at the same time. A friend offered to come sit with the kids while I went to the Hospital too. So at 12:30am I drove to the hospital. When I got there I found my little man like this...
SADDEST thing ever! After a bit, Jared went home with the kids while I stayed at the Hospital with Jason. They were trying to move us up in a room but the ER doc was concerned by why Jason wasn't responding better to the oxygen and IV fluids. So at about 3;30am, after they had done another chest x-ray, they were sending him in for a Cat scan. I was pretty freaked out at this point. I am a borderline hypochondriac so me with my son at 3:30am at the hospital is not my favorite scenario. I was able to keep myself in check as I held Jasons hand during his cat scan. His appendix appeared to be swollen and they were concerned of a possible rupture so they began to prepare him for an emergency appendectomy. I had no idea that I toddler cold even have appendicitis! The doc told me that it does happen and it is usually worse because the younger they are the quicker they rupture. (Having a freak out in my brain!) After they loaded Jason up on morphine and verset, I had to hold my son down while 2 nurses tried to take his blood, put in a new IV, Foley and NG tube. That's when I started to cry.
They finally finished around 5:30am and I called Jared and told him to get down there ASAP to give Jason a priesthood blessing. Our friends Greg and Jacque came over to help. Jacque stayed with the kids while Greg came with Jared to help with the blessing. As they walked in Jared was greeted by the ER doc who gave him a quick download. That doc was pretty high strung and a little overzealous. The Surgeon then came in to check on Jason and began having a fit. He didn't think it was necessary to do the surgery. He wanted to watch him for a couple of hours. So they sent us up to the PICU. Which is where we spent the next 3 days.
They eventually ruled out the appendicitis. We learned that he had some string of H1N1 which caused him to have Strep throat which then lead to the Pneumonia. He was also very Dehydrated. All in all we had one very, very sick little boy on our hands.
After a couple days in the PICU he finally started to eat a bit.

Then when he decided to eat some more, they let us take him home. He is doing TONS better now! Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who prayed, fasted, and helped with the kids. We are so so so blessed.
The whole incident New Years Eve with his temp dropping was not connected to anything. I truly believe that that needed to happen so that Jared and I could see that something was wrong. It was after his temperature dropped that we both KNEW or felt inspired to take him in. Good thing we did! So grateful for small things in our life and that we are able to recognize those small things.
He had an appt with his doctor Thursday and it appears that his Pneumonia is on its way out. He is finally back to his silly little self and I am so grateful he is OK.

























16 comments:
That's so rough! I can't imagine going through all of that plus having sick babies at home too. Glad he is feeling better. Love you!
It's such a helpless feeling to have sick little ones...what a scary experience! Glad he (&everyone else) is on the mend. Hugs to all of you! And may the rest of this New Year be better!
My heart is breaking that he (and you and Jared) had to go through that. Glad he is feeling better.
Ugh! This makes me cry . . . still. So sorry you guys had to go through this. It is very scary and stressful to have a baby in the hospital. Glad he's better.
Whew! What a way to greet the New Year! Glad everyone is doing better.
... and I love that Jason's hair progressively gets crazier and crazier!
So glad that he's okay! Things can only get better from here. : )
You really captured how yucky they felt. Never seen your kids look like they felt so bad. We are so glad Jason is okay and he got what he needed to recover. Glad you have people you can rely on for help nearby too.
What a brave little guy! These types of things really scare me! I am so glad he is better and I hope your new year is much better (and healthier).
Sad and scary moments on this end not knowing immediate updates. I really hurt for him. He must have been so sad and not understanding what was going on. Love the little guy.
That is so sad! The worst is definitely watching as a parent while they poke and prod at your child as they look back at you with sweet little eyes wondering what the heck is going on! I am glad everyone is getting better and healthy!
OH MY GOSH!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!!! SO scary, and sad to see your baby like that. I'm glad he is getting back to normal and I hope you have had some time to recooperate too. I'm sure you were exhausted mentally and physically. SO happy that they didn't do the unnecessary surgery, poor little man. May your New Year be filled with ..... no more trips to the ER like this.
Oh that totally made me cry! Poor little guy! Isn't amazing how they they can be that sick and you don't even know it until it's BAD! I still haven't had an ER visit with my kiddos, but I know it will happen one day! I'm glad you got through it!
Poor little guy! I'm glad he is okay. I can only imagine. I would be freaking out and I DON'T consider myself a hypochondriac - I can't even imagine how you were feeling Cindi! I'm sure the rest of your year will be better than this!
Oh Cindi I'm so sorry you had to go through that whole ordeal. It's so hard to keep the "freak-outs" inside so the kids don't see it. I'm so glad that everyone is on the mend. Thank goodness for prayers and fasting.
Oh my goodness. You are one tough momma. One look at that first hospital picture of your sweet little boy took me to tears. You made it much farther than I ever could. I'm glad that is over. Sorry you all had to go through it. BTW - all the sleeping pictures are sad because I know they aren't feeling good but they are also SO CUTE!
Post a Comment