Monday, November 9, 2009

Weekend Festivities

Saturday morning, we were very fortunate to be able to attend our New Stake Center Groundbreaking Ceremony. This experience was very exciting and special for me. I have never been able to participate or be around for such an event. The choir was wonderful. Cori participated with the Primary Choir singing How Firm a Foundation. The center Stake activity was great. The releasing of doves during the Hymn Come, Come Ye Saints made my heart warm. But the most exciting thing was hearing our Stake President, Pres. Ostler talk about the early Saints who were asked by the Prophet to leave UT and come to this area and develope the church in what is now the Mesa Area. Jared's Great, Great, Great (?) Grandfather was amongst those Pioneers. The McGraths have a very strong history here in Arizona (yet we don't have any family here). Hearing President Ostler talk about those Saints gave me goosebumps and a since of pride in our family's name. I have heard Papa talk many times of his family and all that they struggled through to do what was asked of them. I am amazed at how willingly they were able to serve and sacrifice for the progression of the Church. I am grateful to them and hope that my children will know of their heritage.

Such a spiritual experience on a beautiful Saturday morning.

Here is the Stake activity. Each family was holding onto a ribbon. An example of how our organization works. We all work together to hold up the stake.


The doves which you can barely see. It was really so beautiful and I was fighting back tears of gratitude.


and finally breaking ground! :)

We pray that the building of our new Stake Center will go swiftly and safely. We are thankful to those who have worked so hard to make this happen. The Work is progressing!!! :)

SUNDAY, Jared and I gave our "welcome to the Ward talks". It's a little funny to me that we have been able to put this off for 9 months? Plus, we are hoping to be closing on our new home here in AZ next week. So we will be moving out of the Ward even though our new house is in the next neighborhood. So I guess, it was a farewell talk to. Anyway, Jared spoke about Elder Jeffery R. Holland's FABULOUS talk from General Conference titled, "Safety for the Soul" found HERE. My talk was about Sister Ann M. Dibb's talk titled "Hold On" found HERE. It was pretty crazy trying to prepare for a talk, get to Church on time (which did not happen, aarrgghh), and tag team sitting with the kids. Whew... I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Our talks went well and we are glad it's over.

Sunday afternoon, Cori and I made Pa a Birthday cake and decorated while he took a nap.

After dinner, we ate cake and opened gifts.
It was Cori's idea to give Pa a Spiderman Party.


It was also Cori's idea to wrap his gifts in Pink paper.


and it was Cori's idea to give him Spiderman related gifts.

The kids had fun celebrating with Jared.
Jared of course could care less if it is his birthday or not.
It drives me nuts! One of these days, he will enjoy being fussed over!!!
So help me...

5 comments:

The Holyoaks said...

Cute post! Sorry I never got back to you about the talk . . . hope it went well and it sounds like it did. Happy Birthday, Jared! We had a nephew born yesterday, too, so I guess it's official that Nov 8th is an exciting day now.

Middleton said...

I love letting the kids pick the theme... so cute!

Chante said...

The groundbreaking was so great and I totally got goosebumps when the doves were flying in the sky with the music in the background. Such a great experience. And.....your talks went so great! You guys are both naturals....seriously! I get terrified and only like to just read the talk and be done....you did great! Happy birthday to Jared and we will miss you guys!

About Us said...

Happy Birthday Jared! Looks like you have a future party planner in the fam...too cute!

The Horners said...

Jared looks so cool in his Volcom hat. HAPPY BDAY JARED! I like Cori's dress.