So my good friend Julie and I are CRAZY! We thought it would be a great idea to can 160 pounds of Chicken and 260 pounds of ground beef! Needless to say we still haven't finished the ground beef but hopefully we will get it done sometime this week. We were just a little bit more ambitious than we needed to be. This was our first experience with our new pressure canner/cookers so we were a little nervous but my Mother-in-law happened to stop by right before we started our first batch so she helped us get it started. (Thank Goodness) These things can be dangerous if you aren't paying attention! So doing it with 4 kids running around is not the brightest thing. So Thank you Grammie and Matt for your help with the kids! It was a lot easier than I had imagined so I panicked for no reason. It's just time consuming but definitely time well spent! If there is a disaster of some sort, I will be able to feed my family and that is comforting.
Since we bought Chicken breasts, we had to cut of any fat and then chunk it so we could fit more in the jars. You put the raw chicken in the jars with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and screw on the lid. Place it in the cooker and cook for 75 min ( for pint size jars which holds about 1 pound of meat). It was so cool to see the finished batch of COOKED chicken in the jars! and then hearing the "plink" which means your jars sealed. My Mother-in-Law did the whole breasts in hers and fit about the same amount.

My pressure cooker fits 32 Pint size jars and Julie's fits 19.

This cooker we borrowed from a friend and it made us NERVOUS! It was an older one so it didn't have a gage on it so you have to listen to hear if it is cooking at the right pressure. When it was done we were afraid to lift off the lid. So I made Julie do it! I am such a good friend!

But it was a success. All the meat was cooked and we laughed at ourselves for being Chickens.

With the ground meats you have to cook the meat first. Then you put it in the jars with a broth. Here we are browning our meat on 4 burners plus an electric fryer. It took us about 2 hours to get it all cooked. 



I am so glad I learned how to do this! It was a lot of fun and like I said earlier, time well spent!
12 comments:
That is awesome!!!! I don't know anything about pressure cookers or jarring stuff!
Go Cindi. You crazy girl. No problem doing a bunch of canning with your 4 kids under 4 years old. You are making the rest of us look bad.
You are truly one crazy lady! Looks like you girls managed to have fun while you were at it.
Y'all are just "NUTS!" Of course, I would want Julie around if I were gonna tackle such a project, too. She makes anything fun...even canning! Way to go you Pioneer Women!!!
I have never understood why they call it canning and not jarring. Looks like fun. I hopee none of your kids become vegetarians.
You're awesome Cindi! You're my new superhero. Glad to hear it went well...hoping to try it myself sometime soon! PS Ditto on Jill's comment.
dang girl, that is awesome. so much work, but you're so glad you have it! I canned peaches and applesauce and I thought I was awesome!
That is awesome! I wouldn't even know where to begin.
You are such a stud! Way to go Martha Stewart. I guess we will all know where to head when things get bad.
You are an ambitous one! Pretty amazing, I don't think I would dare to do that with one kid. GREAT JOB!
janay
Wow, you are nutso. But you have inspired me to get my 72 hour kits updated.
You are way awesome. I would not be good at any of that. Hey, question for you..how did you set up your blog so that people can't click and open your pictures? I have been trying to set my blog up that way, but can't figure it out. Thanks for your help.
Post a Comment